Mississauga - Clarkson Real Estate
Clarkson is home to both of the City of Mississauga's historic museums: Bradley Museum and Benares House.
The Bradley Museum provides a window into the everyday life of early settlers in Ontario, and hosts Sunday teas, rotating exhibits, and special events. The museum grounds include the original farmhouse built in 1830 by Lewis and Elizabeth Bradley, a United Loyalist couple who lived in the house with their seven children. The Anchorage, a Regency-style cottage built in 1837, was moved from its original location on the shores of Lake Ontario to the Bradley grounds in 1978. The Anchorage was the retirement home of Royal Navy Officer John Skynner (1762-1846), and remained derelict after being moved to the museum grounds until sufficient funds for its rehabilitation were raised in 1991.
A Scene in Clarkson Village Mississauga
In December of 2007 the Log Cabin was opened at Bradley after extensive fundriaising efforts which saw the cabin moved from its location in Port Credit and repaired to its former glory. The Log Cabin is a popular choice for meetings and provides a popular overnight program for Girl Guides and Boy Scouts.
Benares House, located on the border between Clarkson and the neighbouring community of Lorne Park, was inhabited by four generations of the Harris and Sayers families. Rumored to be the inspiration for Canadian author Mazo de la Roche's famous "Whiteoak Chronicles" (or "Jalna series") novels, the Benares estate and most of its contents were donated to the Ontario Heritage Foundation by the great-grandchildren of Captain Harris. The site was fully restored and opened to the public in 1995. Benares now houses an interpretive gallery and hosts special events. Within the Clarkson/Lorne Park community, there are numerous streets dedicated to Ms. Roche, namely "Jalna Ave." and "Mazo Cres.", located in Lorne Park, and Clarkson, respectively.
In addition to discovering these historic sites, visitors may also explore Rattray Marsh. This ecologically sensitive wetland is the last remaining lakefront marsh between Burlington, Ontario and Toronto, and provides superb opportunities for bird watching while strolling along boardwalks and well-maintained trails. Amazingly abundant displays of white trilliums, the floral emblem and provincial flower of Ontario, may be seen in late April and early May.
Clarkson is home to the Clarkson GO Station, the transportation hub of the community, located on the Lakeshore West line. Local transit service is provided by Mississauga Transit routes 13, 14, 14A, 23, 45, 45A, 43, 110, and 29, all of which feed into the GO station. Clarkson is also near the interchange of the QEW. The main roads in the area are Lakeshore Road West, Southdown Road, and Royal Windsor Drive.o
Mississauga Clarkson History
Clarkson | Cooksville | Lorne Park | Meadowvale | Meadowvale Village | Port Credit | Streetsville